October 2019 Planned Ethereum Network Upgrade
The ETH1 page is a good starting point for an overview of Working Groups and areas of focus.
- 2019-04-17 (Wed-Thurs) CoreDev planning meeting in Berlin, details on EthMagicians
- 2019-05-17 (Fri) hard deadline to accept proposals for “Istanbul”
- 2019-07-19 (Fri) soft deadline for major client implementations
- 2019-07 CoreDev planning meeting proposed
- 2019-08-14 (Wed) projected date for testnet network upgrade (Ropsten, Görli, or ad-hoc testnet)
- 2019-10-8 - 11 DevCon5 Osaka Japan
- 2019-10-16 (Wed) projected date for mainnet upgrade (“Istanbul”)
Rough plan is April 2020 for next Hardfork, go up to Roadmap for more info.
Discussion thread for Hardfork Meta: https://ethereum-magicians.org/t/hardfork-meta-istanbul-discussion/3207
Going forward, the list of EIPs in 1679 are the canonical status of EIPs
This will be maintained as an overview page, can also view the Istanbul GitHub Project in the ECH repo to track progress.
- EIP-615: Subroutines and Static Jumps for the EVM
- EIP-1057: ProgPoW, a Programmatic Proof-of-Work (contingent on positive audit results) - @IfDefElse
- EIP-1108: Reduce alt_bn128 precompile gas costs - @zac-williamson
- EIP-1283: Net gas metering for SSTORE without dirty maps @sorpass
- EIP-1344: Add ChainID opcode - @fubuloubu
- EIP-1352: Specify restricted address range for precompiles/system contracts
- EIP 1380: Reduced gas cost for call to self - @axic @jacqueswww
- EIP 1559: Fee market change for ETH 1.0 chain
- EIP-1965: Method to check if a chainID is valid at a specific block Number
- EIP-1702: Generalized account versioning scheme - @sorpaas
- EIP-1706: Disable SSTORE with gasleft lower than call stipend
- EIP 1803: Rename opcodes for clarity - @axic
- EIP 1829: Precompile for Elliptic Curve Linear Combinations @remco
- EIP 1884: Reprice Opcodes + optional new opcode, @holiman - Discuss
- EIP 1930: CALLs with strict gas semantic. Revert if not enough gas available
- EIP 2028: Calldata gas cost reduction
Intention to Propose
If your EIP is on this list, please make a PR against 1679 to add a link to your EIP in the Proposed section.
- EIP 152 BLAKE2b
FCompression Function Precompile - Champion wanted! - Discuss - Being worked on by Virgil
- EIP 663 Unlimited SWAP and DUP instructions
- EIP-689 Address Collision of Contract Address Causes Exceptional Halt - Champion wanted! - Discuss
Virgil mentioned that EIP 665 Adding precompiles for Ed25519 is not needed, because 1829 is a superset and supports the needs.
Follow along All Core Dev calls and the EIPs repo.
Newest at the top, likely EthCatHerders repo / Github project will be source of updates going forward
- Reviewed on Core Devs call 60, including call for PRs to 1679
- Discussed on Core Devs call 57, no one disagreed with current timelines
- There is a WIP Client Tracker
- EthCatHerders organizing, see PM repo, Joseph DeLong point of contact for Istanbul
- Afri proposed the schedule on the Jan 4th All Core Devs call where it was provisionally accepted